Car hire in Stockholm
Start your trip from StockholmFor shopping don't miss NK on Hamngatan or the shopping centre of Åhléns, near Sergel Square. We also recommend the trendy district of Södermalm, which offers both vintage shops and art galleries. You’ll also find two of the best viewpoints in the whole of Stockholm at Fjällgatan and Monteliusvägen.
With your Avis rental car you can easily get away from the shopping streets and explore the island of Djurgården. Travel a bit further and you will discover the Grona Lund amusement park, Skansen, the Rosendal Castle – and yes, The Winner Takes It All when you Take A Chance on visiting the ABBA Museum!
Summer in Stockholm
Multiple beaches offer a perfect swimming area for those who want to take a dip. For those of you who like to play golf, Stockholm offers many beautiful golf courses – so remember your golf clubs.
Winter and Christmas in Stockholm
If you visit Stockholm during the winter, don't miss the guided ice skating tour on the frozen Lake Mälaren. During the Christmas season, there are also beautiful Christmas markets, one of the best is in Stockholm's Old Town. There you will find local specialities, and handmade products.
Discover Sweden's capital with your rental car from Avis and make your way from the airport to the city. Or pick up your hire car in Stockholm city centre, amd explore the many famous sights and landmarks.
Driving rules in SwedenWhich side of the road?
In Sweden, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Do not use a mobile phone or GPS in any manner that could be deemed ‘detrimental to driving’
- In rural areas, you are likely to encounter animals such as moose and deer on the road. Please drive slowly and carefully, especially at night
- There is a congestion charge payable when driving in Stockholm and Goteborg/Gothenburg
- Dipped headlights must be used at all times
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Rural areas: 70 km/h (mph)
- High speed roads (Motortrafikled): 90 km/h (55 mph)
- Motorways (Motorväg): 110 km/h (80 mph)
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 8 and less than 135cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size
- A child must never sit in a seat with an active airbag
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.